The attack is the 20th reported death of a NATO soldier as a result of an attack by uniformed Afghan soldiers. Some cases involved Taliban infiltrators, but many others were the results of arguments or discontent against occupation forces. The number of such incidents is unclear, however, as reports have shown that the Pentagon has under-reported the shootings.
Today’s attacker was named Mamoud, according to Afghan provincial officials, and was originally from Marjah, in the Helmand Province. Interestingly enough, Marjah was the site of the shooting earlier this week. After shooting the soldiers, he escaped.
Marjah was the centerpiece of NATO’s since-abandoned 2010 military strategy. The tiny farming community was occupied by massive numbers of US Marines, who were supposed to move on after quickly putting the town under control. Two and a half years later, the US Marines are still in the town, which sees regular battles.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Hit Somalia, Killing 37 'Fighters' - November 20th, 2018
- US, Iraq Pound ISIS Targets in Eastern Syria - November 20th, 2018
- Fighting Rages in Yemen's Hodeidah After Pro-Saudi Forces Scrapped Ceasefire - November 20th, 2018
- North Korea Destroys Guard Posts Along Demilitarized Zone - November 20th, 2018
- US Sanctions Iranian, Russian Companies for Shipping Oil to Syria - November 20th, 2018