The attack is the 20th reported death of a NATO soldier as a result of an attack by uniformed Afghan soldiers. Some cases involved Taliban infiltrators, but many others were the results of arguments or discontent against occupation forces. The number of such incidents is unclear, however, as reports have shown that the Pentagon has under-reported the shootings.
Today’s attacker was named Mamoud, according to Afghan provincial officials, and was originally from Marjah, in the Helmand Province. Interestingly enough, Marjah was the site of the shooting earlier this week. After shooting the soldiers, he escaped.
Marjah was the centerpiece of NATO’s since-abandoned 2010 military strategy. The tiny farming community was occupied by massive numbers of US Marines, who were supposed to move on after quickly putting the town under control. Two and a half years later, the US Marines are still in the town, which sees regular battles.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills 30 Pro-Govt Fights Near Syrian City of Palmyra - May 22nd, 2018
- Scores Killed in Attacks Across Central Afghanistan - May 22nd, 2018
- Aide: US Contacting Members of Iraqi Cleric Sadr's Bloc - May 22nd, 2018
- US 'Plan B' With Iran Sets the Stage for War - May 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Military Says It Is First to Use F-35 in Combat - May 22nd, 2018