Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko expressed serious concern about the latest deployments of Western air defense forces in Eastern Europe, saying the moves “crossed a red line,” and show NATO is continuing to build up along Russia’s border.
Though Grushko wasn’t specific, it is believed that the deployment refers to the US deploying the 678th Air Defense Artillery Brigade into Germany over the past week, the first time such a US brigade has been in Europe since the Cold War.
Indeed, Grushko said Russia believes that NATO in general are in the processing of restoring old Cold War schemes into the region, saying that such moves should been retired into the past long ago.
NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg denied that NATO is deliberately trying to isolate Russia in the manner done during the Cold War. He did, however, defend NATO doing exactly that, saying it was the only way to show their “unhappiness” toward Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Sanctions on Iran Hitting Ordinary Iraqis Hard - August 14th, 2018
- Trump Wants Gaza Ceasefire With or Without PA Involvement - August 14th, 2018
- US 'Suspicious' of Russian Space Weapons - August 14th, 2018
- Afghans See Govt's Loss in Ghazni as Failure of Ghani Govt - August 14th, 2018
- Fighting Rages in Ghazni, Afghans Claim Most of City Recovered - August 14th, 2018