Usually, Israeli officials arriving in DC get the royal treatment, and are whisked around the US capital to meet with every administration official and Congressman they possibly can.
Not so with Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, who was snubbed in attempts to get meetings with Secretary of State John Kerry and Vice President Joe Biden. Officials say the administration also tried to cancel Ya’alon’s meetings with Ambassador Susan Power, but the order arrived too late.
Officials familiar with the situation say that the administration was resigned to letting Ya’alon meet with his US counterpart, Chuck Hagel, but didn’t want him making the usual rounds elsewhere.
The reaction to Ya’alon’s visit is because the defense minister, a Likud Party hawk, repeatedly and angrily condemned Kerry as “Messianic” during failed peace talks, and officials are still resentful toward him because of it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019