The Islamic Front faction Jaish al-Islam has successfully captured the strategically important Damascus suburb of Douma today after a protracted fight with the moderate umbrella group the Army of the Nation.
The Army of the Nation group holds only a small amount of territory around metro Damascus, and was the product of a merger of 10 different moderate rebel groups back in September.
Douma is a hugely valuable piece of land, because it connects Damascus to the highway that leads to the central city of Homs. Jaish al-Islam had been growing its presence in Douma for months.
The capture of Douma may allow Jaish al-Islam, and the Islamic Front in general, to reestablish itself as a top player in a Syrian rebellion which in recent months has become dominated by ISIS.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018