The Islamic Front faction Jaish al-Islam has successfully captured the strategically important Damascus suburb of Douma today after a protracted fight with the moderate umbrella group the Army of the Nation.
The Army of the Nation group holds only a small amount of territory around metro Damascus, and was the product of a merger of 10 different moderate rebel groups back in September.
Douma is a hugely valuable piece of land, because it connects Damascus to the highway that leads to the central city of Homs. Jaish al-Islam had been growing its presence in Douma for months.
The capture of Douma may allow Jaish al-Islam, and the Islamic Front in general, to reestablish itself as a top player in a Syrian rebellion which in recent months has become dominated by ISIS.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-South Korea Spring War Games to Be Scaled Back This Year - March 21st, 2018
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018