The Islamic Front faction Jaish al-Islam has successfully captured the strategically important Damascus suburb of Douma today after a protracted fight with the moderate umbrella group the Army of the Nation.
The Army of the Nation group holds only a small amount of territory around metro Damascus, and was the product of a merger of 10 different moderate rebel groups back in September.
Douma is a hugely valuable piece of land, because it connects Damascus to the highway that leads to the central city of Homs. Jaish al-Islam had been growing its presence in Douma for months.
The capture of Douma may allow Jaish al-Islam, and the Islamic Front in general, to reestablish itself as a top player in a Syrian rebellion which in recent months has become dominated by ISIS.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis Claims White House Threat to Syria 'Worked' - June 28th, 2017
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017