Several weeks of on-again, off-again clashes along the Line of Control, the de facto border between Pakistani and Indian Kashmir, continued apace today when two Pakistani soldiers were reported killed in “unprovoked firing” from the Indian side.
Pakistan has summoned Indian officials and India has summoned Pakistani officials, with each side claiming the other totally to blame for the recent exchanges of fire, and no sign that its going to let up any time soon.
Indian Army officials today revealed the preliminary results of an investigation into the August 6 strike which killed five soldiers, saying that the soldiers had been disregarding standard patrol security patterns and were “sitting ducks” for an ambush. India has blamed Pakistani border soldiers for the ambush, while Pakistan suggested it was militants.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018
- Iran Vows 'Vigorous' Enrichment of Uranium if US Quits Nuclear Deal - April 22nd, 2018
- Syrian Forces Advance into Islamist-Held Area South of Damascus - April 22nd, 2018
- Chemical Inspectors Complete Visit to Syria's Douma - April 22nd, 2018
- As Korea Talks Progress, Mainstream Media Try to Derail Peace - April 22nd, 2018