Despite repeated US warnings not to mention Israel during next week’s Vienna meetings of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), reports suggest that a number of Arab nations are planning to bring the topic up again and to urge Israel to join the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). The US is expected to vigorously oppose this effort.
The US had previously condemned an effort to include Israel’s nuclear arsenal, the only one in the Middle East, as a topic for discussion at any IAEA meeting, insisting it was “uncalled for” and was part of a plot to turn attention away from the US goal of centering nearly the entire meeting on Iran’s civilian program.
Arab nations have been hoping to revive the “Nuclear-Free Middle East” proposal, an effort the US initially voted for but then condemned as a “mistake” because it would assume Israel’s joining the NPT, as the last nation in the region which has yet to do so.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ceasefire Announced for Part of Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Will Expel All Kurds From Border Unless Deal Reached With US - March 22nd, 2018
- Pentagon: Nukes Will Be Useless Without New Plutonium Cores - March 22nd, 2018
- State Dept. Announces $1 Billion in New Arms Sales to Saudis - March 22nd, 2018
- Mattis Says Saudis 'Part of the Solution' in Yemen - March 22nd, 2018