In a move that will be used as a pretext for a further series of threats against Iran, the Trump Administration is reportedly intending to announce, as soon as Monday, that they will declare the Iranian Revolutionary Guards as a terrorist organization.
Such a move has been discussed by Iranian hawks for years, but opposed by US intelligence bodies, notably the CIA, as they say that the declaration will increase risks to US troops in the region, while having little impact on Iran.
The assumption is that the US could impose new sanctions on the Revolutionary Guard, part of the Iranian government, and by extension new sanctions against many groups affiliated with them. This would, for hawks, be an excuse for a bunch of new moves against Iran’s security forces.
The reality is that the US has been imposing so many sanctions against Iran over the years, particularly since Trump withdrew from the P5+1 nuclear deal, the opportunity for new sanctions that do anything appears limited.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019