Though officials maintain that the US withdrawal from Syria is still on
track, the Trump Administration continues to press Turkey, whose
military is poised to invade the same part of Syria, for guarantees with regard to the Kurdish YPG.
Turkey considers the YPG a terrorist group, and their invasion is focused on attacking the YPG. The US, however, considers the YPG a close ally, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says they must be protected for having fought against ISIS with the US.
Pompeo spoke with his Turkish counterpart over the phone, and reiterated his commitment to supporting the YPG on this matter. Turkish officials have warned that there is no room for a compromise on this issue.
It’s not clear what this is all leading to, though recently every US demand for a guarantee for the Kurds has led to a rebuke from Turkey, and calls from US hawks to delay or even cancel the pullout.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019