Though officials maintain that the US withdrawal from Syria is still on
track, the Trump Administration continues to press Turkey, whose
military is poised to invade the same part of Syria, for guarantees with regard to the Kurdish YPG.
Turkey considers the YPG a terrorist group, and their invasion is focused on attacking the YPG. The US, however, considers the YPG a close ally, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says they must be protected for having fought against ISIS with the US.
Pompeo spoke with his Turkish counterpart over the phone, and reiterated his commitment to supporting the YPG on this matter. Turkish officials have warned that there is no room for a compromise on this issue.
It’s not clear what this is all leading to, though recently every US demand for a guarantee for the Kurds has led to a rebuke from Turkey, and calls from US hawks to delay or even cancel the pullout.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy Elliott Abrams Heads to Colombia to Oversee Aid Delegation - February 22nd, 2019
- Officials Say Hundreds of ISIS Fled Syria Into Iraq in Past Six Months - February 22nd, 2019
- Abe Says Japan Will Ignore Okinawan Referendum on US Base - February 22nd, 2019
- Civilian Convoy Leaves Last ISIS Territory in Eastern Syria - February 22nd, 2019
- UN Watchdog Again Confirms Iran in Compliance With P5+1 Nuclear Deal - February 22nd, 2019