Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton
are both infuriating Turkey this weekend with comments on the planned
Turkish invasion of Syrian Kurdistan, with President Erdogan saying it
is “irrational” to claim the invasion is targeting Kurds.
Pompeo said that the US wanted to make sure “the Turks don’t slaughter the Kurds” after US troops leave, which was a particular source of anger for Turkish officials. The Foreign Ministry said it was unfair to use the generic term Kurds, because Turkey intends to slaughter the YPG, whom they consider terrorists.
Turkey issued a statement Friday vowing to “decisively continue its struggle against terrorist organizations” in Syria, including the YPG. Turkey says they consider the YPG to be on par with ISIS.
Bolton also issued a statement while in Israel warning Turkey not to attack America’s “Kurdish allies.” This is more specific, as the US was allied with the YPG, and that is exactly who Turkey has promised to target militarily.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan Trying to Arrange New US-Taliban Talks - January 17th, 2019
- Fate of Arrested American Anchor for Iran's PressTV Remains Uncertain - January 17th, 2019
- Afghan, US Operations Kill at Least 57 Taliban Across Afghanistan - January 17th, 2019
- US Army Releases Critical History of the War in Iraq - January 17th, 2019
- Manbij Attack Gives US Hawks, and ISIS, Exactly What They Want - January 17th, 2019