In a Friday Tweet angrily condemning the “Obstructionist Democrats,” President Trump has threatened to fully close the US-Mexico border.
He says this will happen unless Congress changes immigration laws to
suit his tastes, and agrees to fully fund his border wall.
Democrat strategist Jesse Ferguson said that Trump had “taken taxpayers hostage” by shutting down the government, and that this latest threat amounted to “upping the ransom demand.”
The US government is in a state of partial shutdown for now over demands by Trump to fund the wall. Congress has no votes scheduled, and isn’t even intended to meet until late next week.
Trump’s comments were vague, as it’s unclear how the border closure to legal traffic would do anything to impact illegal crossings, and similarly unclear how Trump proposes to seal the border without a wall.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy Elliott Abrams Heads to Colombia to Oversee Aid Delegation - February 22nd, 2019
- Officials Say Hundreds of ISIS Fled Syria Into Iraq in Past Six Months - February 22nd, 2019
- Abe Says Japan Will Ignore Okinawan Referendum on US Base - February 22nd, 2019
- Civilian Convoy Leaves Last ISIS Territory in Eastern Syria - February 22nd, 2019
- UN Watchdog Again Confirms Iran in Compliance With P5+1 Nuclear Deal - February 22nd, 2019