After reports of anti-aircraft missile activity in Syria, the Israeli
military carried out a series of attacks against sites around the
capital city of Damascus. The Israeli warplanes were in Lebanese airspace, and fired missiles at the sites.
Syrian state media reported that most of the missiles fired were intercepted successfully by Syrian defenses. Several sites were hit, however, though it is as of yet unclear what most of the targets hit actually were.
One site that was hit was described as a weapons depot, however, which is a common target for Israel. The site was hit, and three Syrian soldiers were wounded in the attack. There were no reports of other casualties so far.
Attacks continued for at least an hour, with Damascus residents reporting they were hearing air defense fire an hour after the attacks started. Syrian state media also confirmed that “aggression is still ongoing.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attack in Syria's Manbij Kills Four US Troops, Wounds Three - January 16th, 2019
- Taliban Threatens to Pull Out of Peace Talks Over US Troop Presence in Afghanistan - January 15th, 2019
- US, Russia Trade Accusations of Nuclear Deal Violations - January 15th, 2019
- Mnuchin Urges Senate to Allow Trump to Ease Russia Sanctions - January 15th, 2019
- Trump May Recognize Opposition Leader as Venezuelan President - January 15th, 2019