A month after a maritime incident in the area, and with substantial tensions, Ukraine has announced its intention to send more warships to the Sea of Azov, which means once again crossing throughout Russian waters.
Ukrainian officials say they will create a naval group at their own ports in the sea, overtly saying it is meant to contest Russian claims in the Sea of Azov after Crimea’s accession into the Russian Federation.
It’s not clear what sort of ships will be sent, though Ukraine has a very limited navy at any rate. It is unlikely they can make a serious challenge to Russia over control of the sea, even if they try to do so.
Interestingly, this announcement comes just one day after Russia announced that they had intelligence on an upcoming Ukrainian “provocation,” and are sending warplanes to Crimea to potentially react to them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan Trying to Arrange New US-Taliban Talks - January 17th, 2019
- Fate of Arrested American Anchor for Iran's PressTV Remains Uncertain - January 17th, 2019
- Afghan, US Operations Kill at Least 57 Taliban Across Afghanistan - January 17th, 2019
- US Army Releases Critical History of the War in Iraq - January 17th, 2019
- Manbij Attack Gives US Hawks, and ISIS, Exactly What They Want - January 17th, 2019