Taliban gunmen attacked a base belonging to the British security contractors group G4S on the outskirts of the Afghan capital of Kabul. At least 10 people were killed in the attack, and 19 others wounded.
The attack stared with a car bomb explosion outside the compound, which is on the main road heading out of Kabul and heading east. During the chaos, the gunmen rushed into the building, causing heavy casualties.
The Taliban confirmed being behind the attack, saying it was done in retaliation for heavy casualties inflicted in Helmand and Kandahar Provinces. G4S confirmed there was an “incident” but offered few details.
This was just the latest of a long number of incidents underscoring just how insecure the Afghan capital city remains, as both the Taliban and ISIS show that, despite heavy security efforts, both are able to attack virtually at will.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018