With the newly reimposed US sanctions against Iran having little to no perceivable economic impact, national security adviser John Bolton is talking up his plans to continue to escalate the sanctions track, saying he will “squeeze Iran until the pips squeak.”
Bolton shrugged off the reality that Iran is still doing business internationally, saying that he believes Iran is “under real pressure” from the sanctions, and that he’s determined to see it keep getting worse.
Bolton went on to predict that the European efforts to keep trading with Iran would ultimately fail. He said the Europeans are going through the six stages of grief, and would ultimately led to European acceptance of the US demands.
Either way, Bolton’s position is that the US strategy will continue to be imposing new sanctions on Iran going forward. It’s not clear what the end game is, beyond just damaging Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Accelerates Plan to Slash Afghan Embassy Staff - April 25th, 2019
- Top UN Official Meets Taliban Negotiators in Qatar - April 25th, 2019
- Senate to Take Up Trump's Yemen War Veto Next Week - April 25th, 2019
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019