According to US officials, intercepts from Saudi Arabia revealed a plot against journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who is now missing and presumed dead.after going to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
The intercepts showed that the government plotted to try to lure Khasoggi into returning to Saudi Arabia, after having fled into exile. Once he was back, they’d detain him for his criticism of the crown prince.
The first stab at this involved Saudi officials connected to the crown prince contacting Khashoggi to offer him a high-ranking government job, promising that all was forgiven and that they would protect him from prosecution.
Khashoggi hadn’t been fooled, however, as his friends say that he confided in them about the offer, and did not believe that they would keep their promises if they got hold of him back in the Saudi kingdom.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy Elliott Abrams Heads to Colombia to Oversee Aid Delegation - February 22nd, 2019
- Officials Say Hundreds of ISIS Fled Syria Into Iraq in Past Six Months - February 22nd, 2019
- Abe Says Japan Will Ignore Okinawan Referendum on US Base - February 22nd, 2019
- Civilian Convoy Leaves Last ISIS Territory in Eastern Syria - February 22nd, 2019
- UN Watchdog Again Confirms Iran in Compliance With P5+1 Nuclear Deal - February 22nd, 2019