According to US officials, intercepts from Saudi Arabia revealed a plot against journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who is now missing and presumed dead.after going to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
The intercepts showed that the government plotted to try to lure Khasoggi into returning to Saudi Arabia, after having fled into exile. Once he was back, they’d detain him for his criticism of the crown prince.
The first stab at this involved Saudi officials connected to the crown prince contacting Khashoggi to offer him a high-ranking government job, promising that all was forgiven and that they would protect him from prosecution.
Khashoggi hadn’t been fooled, however, as his friends say that he confided in them about the offer, and did not believe that they would keep their promises if they got hold of him back in the Saudi kingdom.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Warn Turkey's Threats Are a 'Declaration of War' - December 14th, 2018
- US-Backed Kurdish Forces Seize ISIS Town in Eastern Syria - December 14th, 2018
- Pompeo Downplays White House Differences With Senate on Saudi Arabia - December 14th, 2018
- US, South Korea Fail to Agree on Cost-Sharing for Military Deployment - December 14th, 2018
- Yemen Clashes Threaten Ceasefire in Hodeidah - December 14th, 2018