Tensions between the US and Iran have been on the rise in the past several days, with Iran blaming US-backed groups for a Saturday terrorist attack, and Trump aide Rudolph Giuliani vowing an impending US-imposed regime change against Iran the same day.
With talk of Iran doing something in retaliation for the terror attack, Secretary of State Mike Po9mpeo is now leading US comments threatening war against Iran, if the Iranians target any sort of “American interests.”
“We will not let Iran get away with using a proxy force to attack an American interest,” Pompeo insisted, adding when asked about military options that “they’re going to be held accountable.” The S has been threatening to attack Iran for decades now.
Talk of proxies and vague notions of US interests basically allow the US to attack Iran whenever they want to, as the US portrays most of its regional enemies and some allies, including parts of Iraq’s current government, as Iranian proxies, and broadly defines its interests time and again.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Warn Turkey's Threats Are a 'Declaration of War' - December 14th, 2018
- US-Backed Kurdish Forces Seize ISIS Town in Eastern Syria - December 14th, 2018
- Pompeo Downplays White House Differences With Senate on Saudi Arabia - December 14th, 2018
- US, South Korea Fail to Agree on Cost-Sharing for Military Deployment - December 14th, 2018
- Yemen Clashes Threaten Ceasefire in Hodeidah - December 14th, 2018