Tensions between the US and Iran have been on the rise in the past several days, with Iran blaming US-backed groups for a Saturday terrorist attack, and Trump aide Rudolph Giuliani vowing an impending US-imposed regime change against Iran the same day.
With talk of Iran doing something in retaliation for the terror attack, Secretary of State Mike Po9mpeo is now leading US comments threatening war against Iran, if the Iranians target any sort of “American interests.”
“We will not let Iran get away with using a proxy force to attack an American interest,” Pompeo insisted, adding when asked about military options that “they’re going to be held accountable.” The S has been threatening to attack Iran for decades now.
Talk of proxies and vague notions of US interests basically allow the US to attack Iran whenever they want to, as the US portrays most of its regional enemies and some allies, including parts of Iraq’s current government, as Iranian proxies, and broadly defines its interests time and again.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy Elliott Abrams Heads to Colombia to Oversee Aid Delegation - February 22nd, 2019
- Officials Say Hundreds of ISIS Fled Syria Into Iraq in Past Six Months - February 22nd, 2019
- Abe Says Japan Will Ignore Okinawan Referendum on US Base - February 22nd, 2019
- Civilian Convoy Leaves Last ISIS Territory in Eastern Syria - February 22nd, 2019
- UN Watchdog Again Confirms Iran in Compliance With P5+1 Nuclear Deal - February 22nd, 2019