Speaking on Saturday Rudolph Giuliani, the former NYC mayor and current Trump lawyer, said he is confident that Trump-imposed sanctions on Iran would lead to a “successful revolution” overthrowing the Iranian government.
Giuliani told a crowd that the Iran regime change “could be in a few day, months, a couple of years. But it’s going to happen.” He made the comments the same day as a major terrorist attack in the Iranian city of Ahvaz, where gunmen attacked a parade, killing 29 people.
Giuliani is the latest person connected to the administration to suggest that the US is not only advancing toward imposing regime change in Iran, but that it could happen soon. This is directly contrary to official statements on US intentions toward Iran.
The State Department has repeatedly insisted that the US goal is to increase sanctions against Iran, but with no intention of ever forcing a regime change. Still, Giuliani and others comment often enough on regime change that it’s no surprise Iran was quick to accuse the US of being involved in the Ahvaz attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Cuts Ties With Afghan NSA Over Criticism of Negotiator - March 19th, 2019
- New Zealand PM: Censorship Meant to Deny Attacker Notoriety - March 19th, 2019
- Trump Advances Venezuela Regime Change Abroad - March 19th, 2019
- US Slams Germany for Military Spending Falling Short of Trump's Demands - March 19th, 2019
- German Court: Govt Must Question If US Drone Strikes Are Legal - March 19th, 2019