Recent weeks of fighting between the Iranian military and Iranian-Kurdish separatists has spilled across the border into Iraqi Kurdistan, where Iranian forces reported pursued the separatists, and have seized a strategically valuable mountain near the border.
The Iranians have set up an artillery platform there, according to the Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga. Iranian officials say the separatist force has been carrying out repeated cross-border attacks.
Iraqi officials are complaining about the fighting, and warned Iran that any operations on Iraqi soil need to be done with prior coordination. Iranian officials have not said anything about any such coordination.
The US, however, is using it as another chance to threaten Iran, vowing to “respond swiftly and decisively” to any attacks by Iran or its allies inside Iraq, if they result in any US casualties or damage to US facilities.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019