Recent weeks of fighting between the Iranian military and Iranian-Kurdish separatists has spilled across the border into Iraqi Kurdistan, where Iranian forces reported pursued the separatists, and have seized a strategically valuable mountain near the border.
The Iranians have set up an artillery platform there, according to the Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga. Iranian officials say the separatist force has been carrying out repeated cross-border attacks.
Iraqi officials are complaining about the fighting, and warned Iran that any operations on Iraqi soil need to be done with prior coordination. Iranian officials have not said anything about any such coordination.
The US, however, is using it as another chance to threaten Iran, vowing to “respond swiftly and decisively” to any attacks by Iran or its allies inside Iraq, if they result in any US casualties or damage to US facilities.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Erdodan Tells Trump: Turkey Ready to Take Over Syria's Manbij - January 20th, 2019
- White House: Israeli TV Report on Peace Plan Not Accurate - January 18th, 2019
- Second Trump-Kim Summit Will Be Held in Late February - January 18th, 2019
- US Bombs, Destroys a Mosque in Syria's Safafiyah - January 18th, 2019
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Shells ISIS Forces in Eastern Syria - January 18th, 2019