Recent weeks of fighting between the Iranian military and Iranian-Kurdish separatists has spilled across the border into Iraqi Kurdistan, where Iranian forces reported pursued the separatists, and have seized a strategically valuable mountain near the border.
The Iranians have set up an artillery platform there, according to the Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga. Iranian officials say the separatist force has been carrying out repeated cross-border attacks.
Iraqi officials are complaining about the fighting, and warned Iran that any operations on Iraqi soil need to be done with prior coordination. Iranian officials have not said anything about any such coordination.
The US, however, is using it as another chance to threaten Iran, vowing to “respond swiftly and decisively” to any attacks by Iran or its allies inside Iraq, if they result in any US casualties or damage to US facilities.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018