Speaking on the 65th anniversary of the 1953 CIA coup against Iran, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif accused the newly established Iran Action Group of being an attempt by the US to repeat the coup, but that it will fail.
The State Department announced the establishment of the Iran Action Group last week, with Brian Hook appointed to lead it as a “Special Representative for Iran.” Exactly what the group will be doing isn’t entirely clear.
The State Department did try to present Hook’s responsibility as coordinating all anti-Iran activities within the department, however, which suggests that it’s reasonable for Iran to conclude the goal is regime change, despite some Trump Administration officials denying that they are seeking regime change.
Zarif says the US attempts at regime change will come through “pressure, misinformation and demagoguery.” The US has been fairly open about spreading misinformation against Iran in trying to organize protests against the government, and in recent weeks has presented those protests as proof the Iranian government needs to make radical changes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018