According to a leaked Russian memo obtained by POLITICO, Russian President Vladimir Putin used the Helsinki summit with President Trump to push heavy for new talks on arms control deals going forward.
The details were leaked in a document entitled “Dialogue on the Issue of Arms Control,” with Russian officials saying that Putin shared the contents with President Trump. It is believed that not all administration officials were privy to this.
Putin, however, has been very clear about wanting to get started on new arms treaty talks. In particular, he noted that to get an extension of START would require talks to begin almost immediately, if they are to have any chance of being finished in time.
The White House declined to comment specifically on the leak, but noted that Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) had hand-delivered a letter to Putin’s representative in Moscow, which suggests this may be related to the process.
Russian officials were less happy, with a spokeswoman for Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov complaining about the leaks, and saying they aren’t clear how Russia can possibly talk to the US when they can’t keep even the content of negotiations secret.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018