According to the US State Department, President Trump has signed off on the release of $6.6 million for Syria’s White Helmets, an NGO that operates as a rescue group in certain rebel-held parts of the country.
The White Helmets falsely claims it gets no funding from the US government. In reality the organization gets about 1/3 of its funding from the State Department. This is important because the White Helmets are often the lone source of questionable allegations which support US government allegations against the Syrian government.
Funding for the White Helmets was part of $200 million the Trump Administration froze in April. In May, the State Department said the funding was under “active review.” The funding freeze was done amid President Trump’s talk of withdrawing from Syria.
The State Department announcement that they were unfreezing the $6.6 million came with a statement that they “strongly support” the White Helmets. Officials did not say what would happen to the rest of the $200 million.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018