The death of 21-year-old Palestinian medic Razan Najjar on Friday has fueled a lot of anger across the region, particularly with news that she was shot in the back by Israeli snipers. The Israeli military has since promised an investigation into the killing.
Killing of civilian protesters in Gaza was already controversial, and the death of the photogenic young nurse who was treating the wounded protesters is even moreso. Her funeral drew a large following, and protests started afterwards.
Medics getting shot deliberately by Israeli snipers at the Gaza border has been a common occurrence during the crackdowns on demonstrations. 29 medics have been shot so far by Israeli forces, many of them gravely wounded. Najjar was the second one to be killed outright.
Israeli forces have been heavily using live ammunition against the protesters along the Gaza border, which has led to over 13,000 Palestinians getting wounded in the crackdown, quickly overwhelming the strip’s limited medical services.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Voting Postponed in Afghanistan's Kandahar Province After Officials Killed - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi State TV Confirms Journalist Jamal Khashoggi Was Killed - October 19th, 2018
- Yemeni Forces Stop Houthis Attempt to Reopen Hodeidah Supply Route - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Threatens to Send Military to Close Border With Mexico - October 18th, 2018
- US Opposes Koreas' New No-Fly Zone Plans - October 18th, 2018