Fighting continues in Syria’s Afrin District, a Kurdish area which is being invaded by the Turkish military. Friday saw Turkish forces attacking a convoy that was heading for the main town in the district.
Exactly what sort of a convoy this was remains hotly contested. The Kurdish YPG says the convoy contained food and medical aid, as well as civilians being evacuated from the areas Turkey is already pushing into.
Turkey, however, says the entire convoy of 30-40 vehicles was full of “terrorists,” and weapons for the YPG forces that are resisting the invasion, which Turkey insists is a terrorist group.
Several of the cars were destroyed in the shelling, and the YPG is reporting one killed and ten wounded. Turkey offered no casualty figures on this specific incident but has claimed to have killed massive numbers of Kurds in the course of the invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Brief Afghan Ceasefire Ends With a Return to War - June 18th, 2018
- After Kurds' Exit, US and Turkey Patrol Near Syria's Manbij - June 18th, 2018
- US, South Korea Suspend Joint Military Exercise - June 18th, 2018
- Pompeo Prepares for Next Step in North Korea Nuclear Talks - June 18th, 2018
- UAE Demands 'Unconditional' Rebel Pullout From Yemen Port - June 18th, 2018