Fighting continues in Syria’s Afrin District, a Kurdish area which is being invaded by the Turkish military. Friday saw Turkish forces attacking a convoy that was heading for the main town in the district.
Exactly what sort of a convoy this was remains hotly contested. The Kurdish YPG says the convoy contained food and medical aid, as well as civilians being evacuated from the areas Turkey is already pushing into.
Turkey, however, says the entire convoy of 30-40 vehicles was full of “terrorists,” and weapons for the YPG forces that are resisting the invasion, which Turkey insists is a terrorist group.
Several of the cars were destroyed in the shelling, and the YPG is reporting one killed and ten wounded. Turkey offered no casualty figures on this specific incident but has claimed to have killed massive numbers of Kurds in the course of the invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ceasefire Announced for Part of Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Will Expel All Kurds From Border Unless Deal Reached With US - March 22nd, 2018
- Pentagon: Nukes Will Be Useless Without New Plutonium Cores - March 22nd, 2018
- State Dept. Announces $1 Billion in New Arms Sales to Saudis - March 22nd, 2018
- Mattis Says Saudis 'Part of the Solution' in Yemen - March 22nd, 2018