16+ years into the US invasion and occupation of Afghanistan, the war is going badly. That’s hardly news, the US has been losing the Afghan War for quite some time now, and every new release of data shows the situation getting worse and worse.
Beyond doubling down on the failing strategy, which isn’t working, the Trump Administration seems to have made a high priority of offering less and less public information on the war, nominally to keep the “enemy” from knowing US plans, but in practice also keeping American voters from knowing just how bad it is going.
On Tuesday, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction revealed he was struggling to get permission to even release unclassified data in his report to Congress. Data that was later released by the Pentagon, along with BBC estimates, however, show an ever-worsening situation.
Pentagon data claims at most 60% of the Afghan population is under government control, the lowest percent in the war, while the BBC study says the Taliban is contesting around 70% of the country.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Suicide Car Bomber Kills 44 in Attack on Indian Police Bus in Kashmir - February 14th, 2019
- Pakistan Confirms Hosting US-Taliban Talks Next Week - February 14th, 2019
- US Interim Defense Chief: No Afghan Pullout Without NATO Coordination - February 14th, 2019
- Pompeo: Peace and Stability 'Impossible' Without Confronting Iran - February 14th, 2019
- Pence Lashes Out at Europeans, Demands End to Iran Nuclear Deal - February 14th, 2019