The Pentagon has announced that they are investigating an incident in which a US soldier was wounded after being shot by a pro-government Afghan militia in the Nangarhar Province.
Details are still not entirely clear on what happened, but the US troops were in an “active ground engagement” in the Achin District of Nangarhar, an area that has one of the biggest numbers of ISIS fighters in Afghanistan.
A local MP claimed two US soldiers were killed in the incident, though the Pentagon denied any troops were killed, and only one wounded. The MP also says a US airstrike was called in against the militia, killing 22 of them.
Insider attacks were a huge problem for US troops in Afghanistan until recent years, when rules were put in place to limit direct contact between US and Afghan security forces. The US has recently relaxed those rules to allow more embedding of troops in Afghan forces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018
- Pompeo: US Preparing a 'Series of Actions' Against Venezuela - September 21st, 2018