A leaked helmet camera video out of Afghanistan showing a US soldier shooting an Afghan civilian driving a truck has been removed from social media sites,and led to a promise of an investigation by the Pentagon.
The video, initially leaked on YouTube, showed a soldier’s camera view as his armored vehicle drives past a civilian truck. He then fires a shotgun directly into the driver’s side window, shattering it.
Central Command (CENTCOM) issued a statement insisting that the video was “not authorized” and that the shooting of the civilian vehicle was not in keeping with engagement policies for ground troops there.
Gen. Joseph Votel, the Centcom chief, confirmed he’d seen the video, saying he was extremely disappointed by it, and promised to get to the bottom of it and take appropriate measures against whoever was involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- House: No Authorization for US to Attack Iran - May 25th, 2018
- Report: Israel Struck Syria Airbase to Target Hezbollah Members - May 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Assures South Korea That US Is Committed to Denuclearization - May 25th, 2018
- South Korea Disappointed at Abrupt US Decision to Cancel Kim Summit - May 25th, 2018
- Trump, Mattis Say June 12 Summit With North Korea Could Still Happen - May 25th, 2018