A leaked helmet camera video out of Afghanistan showing a US soldier shooting an Afghan civilian driving a truck has been removed from social media sites,and led to a promise of an investigation by the Pentagon.
The video, initially leaked on YouTube, showed a soldier’s camera view as his armored vehicle drives past a civilian truck. He then fires a shotgun directly into the driver’s side window, shattering it.
Central Command (CENTCOM) issued a statement insisting that the video was “not authorized” and that the shooting of the civilian vehicle was not in keeping with engagement policies for ground troops there.
Gen. Joseph Votel, the Centcom chief, confirmed he’d seen the video, saying he was extremely disappointed by it, and promised to get to the bottom of it and take appropriate measures against whoever was involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kill Over 100 Afghan Police in Attack Near Kabul - January 21st, 2019
- Taliban Rejects Call to Meet US Negotiator in Islamabad - January 20th, 2019
- Trump Says 'A Lot of Progress' Made With North Korea - January 20th, 2019
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 52 in Southern Somalia - January 20th, 2019
- Saudi Warplanes Pound Yemeni Capital - January 20th, 2019