A leaked helmet camera video out of Afghanistan showing a US soldier shooting an Afghan civilian driving a truck has been removed from social media sites,and led to a promise of an investigation by the Pentagon.
The video, initially leaked on YouTube, showed a soldier’s camera view as his armored vehicle drives past a civilian truck. He then fires a shotgun directly into the driver’s side window, shattering it.
Central Command (CENTCOM) issued a statement insisting that the video was “not authorized” and that the shooting of the civilian vehicle was not in keeping with engagement policies for ground troops there.
Gen. Joseph Votel, the Centcom chief, confirmed he’d seen the video, saying he was extremely disappointed by it, and promised to get to the bottom of it and take appropriate measures against whoever was involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Will Provide S-300s to Syria to Defend Entire Airspace - September 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Slams EU Plan to Circumvent US Sanctions on Iran - September 25th, 2018
- US General: Removing Troops From Korea a Major Tactical Risk - September 25th, 2018
- South Korean President: Kim Is Serious About Giving Up Nuclear Bombs - September 25th, 2018
- US Adjusting Tactics as Afghanistan Casualties Rise - September 25th, 2018