President Trump’s threats to defund all foreign aid recipients who voted against the US at the UN General Assembly on the Jerusalem question appear to have had little to no impact, with the vote ending in an embarrassingly high 128-9 defeat for the US.
While Trump appeared earlier in the week to be salivating at “saving money” by sticking it to those who vote against him, the fact is that materially every major recipient of US aid, except obviously for Israel, either voted against the US, or in a few rare cases, abstained.
This included “yes” votes from the entire Muslim world, including major US aid recipients like Jordan, Egypt, and Afghanistan. Voting with the US were mostly sparsely populated micronations, along with Guatemala and Honduras.
It’s hard to imagine, then, that the US can give any impression of following through on Trump’s threat, since the reality of the situation is that this would mean virtually the end of US foreign aid in one fell swoop.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Plans to 'Counter' Russia and China in Africa - December 13th, 2018
- Bolton: Trump Won't Meet Putin While Russia Holds Ukrainian Ships - December 13th, 2018
- Turkey Builds Up Military at Syria Border for Planned Offensive - December 13th, 2018
- Israel to Approve Thousands of Unauthorized West Bank Settler Homes - December 13th, 2018
- Yemen Talks End With Ceasefire Agreed for Hodeidah - December 13th, 2018