President Trump’s declaration of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel has sparked massive protests for two consecutive weeks, each culminating with the biggest demonstrations on Friday. Israel’s reaction has largely been military, labeling the demonstrations “riots” and trying to crack down on them.
With several killed and hundreds wounded, however, Palestinian protests show no sign of slowing over the weekend, and Israel appears at a loss as to what else to try, and loathe to consider any alternative strategy that doesn’t involve force and threats.
Throughout the past week, leading up to the Friday protests, Israeli forces began arresting hundreds of “community leaders” across Palestine, who they assumed would be key organizers of the bigger rallies.
This too failed, however, and if anything the arrests of so many local leaders of note is fueling protests of its own, and adding to the sense that Israel is rapidly losing control of the situation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018