President Trump’s declaration of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel has sparked massive protests for two consecutive weeks, each culminating with the biggest demonstrations on Friday. Israel’s reaction has largely been military, labeling the demonstrations “riots” and trying to crack down on them.
With several killed and hundreds wounded, however, Palestinian protests show no sign of slowing over the weekend, and Israel appears at a loss as to what else to try, and loathe to consider any alternative strategy that doesn’t involve force and threats.
Throughout the past week, leading up to the Friday protests, Israeli forces began arresting hundreds of “community leaders” across Palestine, who they assumed would be key organizers of the bigger rallies.
This too failed, however, and if anything the arrests of so many local leaders of note is fueling protests of its own, and adding to the sense that Israel is rapidly losing control of the situation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Fighting Between Pro-Govt Factions in Yemen Kills 18 - August 14th, 2018
- Trump to Ignore Multiple NDAA Provisions - August 14th, 2018
- Russia Favors Trade With National Currencies, Not US Dollar - August 13th, 2018
- Israeli DM to Consider Lifting Some Gaza Restrictions - August 13th, 2018
- Trump Signs $716 Billion Military Spending Bill - August 13th, 2018