Israeli Housing Minister Yoav Galant, of the Kulanu Party, today declared that yesterday’s US claims that Syria’s government has built a crematorium to dispose of executed prisoners, a fact Syria denies, means “the time has come to assassinate Assad.” He went on to liken Assad’s Syria to Nazi Germany.
It’s unusual for an MP to publicly demand the assassination of a neighboring head of state, and it’s clearly outside the purview of the Israeli Housing Ministry to make such a decision. Galant’s status as a former general appears to be his basis for making the proclamation.
Galant declared Assad to be “the tail of the snake,” and insisted that Israel could assassinate him and then focus on starting a war with Iran, whom he identified as the “head of the snake.” Picking a fight with Iran of course is a long-standing Israeli priority.
Galant conceded that it might not be practical to assassinate Assad, and that it would be illegal under international law, but insisted Assad “doesn’t have a place in this world” and needs to be killed outright. Again, Galant presented this conclusion primarily on the basis of yesterday’s US State Department claim about a crematorium, which has not been independently confirmed, and which Syria denies.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Military's Anti-Drug Campaign in Afghanistan Ends in Failure - February 21st, 2019
- Trump Will Leave 200 US Troops in Syria After Pullout - February 21st, 2019
- State Dept Rolls Out Social Media Campaign Fomenting Iranian Unrest - February 20th, 2019
- Netanyahu Merges Extremist Parties, Seeking Support in Election - February 20th, 2019
- Pompeo Says Alabama Woman Who Joined ISIS Can't Ever Return to US - February 20th, 2019