President Donald Trump is planning to threaten defunding of the United Nations, including at least 40% decrease in funds provided to the organization, centering on complaints about the Palestinian Authority having membership in certain UN bodies.
There are two competing draft proposals under consideration for doing this, which demand that the US fully defund all UN organizations which give the Palestinians full membership. This would be a totally meaningless measure, however, as the US had already done so years ago.
There are also mentions of possible cuts to anything abortion related, and demands that the UN cut ties with any organization “which could be seen as” helping circumvent sanctions against either Iran or North Korea. A lot of the wording in the reports is unclear on exactly what that would entail.
One of the two draft orders calls for a “moratorium on new multilateral treaties,” and mandates a full US review of every single treaty they are party to with more than one nation, seeking recommendations on withdrawing from them. There were exclusions on the review for “national security” treaties and those related to extradition, but it is unclear exactly how that would be interpreted.
Both versions propose substantial cuts to US funding for the UN, as the US provides a large portion of the international body’s annual funding, though the multilateral treaties proposal looks at this as a jumping off point for a wholesale shift in US diplomatic agreements going much, much farther.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- After CNN Report, Facebook Censors Pages With Claimed Links to Russia - February 18th, 2019
- US, EU, and Kurds at Odds Over ISIS Prisoners in Syria - February 18th, 2019
- Syrian Kurdish Commander Wants US to Halt Pullout, Keep 1,500 Troops in Syria - February 18th, 2019
- Venezuela, Richard Branson Plan Dueling Concerts Along Colombian Border - February 18th, 2019
- Trump: Venezuelan Military Members Must Abandon Maduro or 'Lose Everything' - February 18th, 2019