In a move showing the Shi’ite militia faction’s growing capabilities, Hezbollah has released a video showing it carrying out a drone strike against fighters of al-Qaeda’s Nusra Front, killing three.
The strike took place along the border between the Lebanese town of Arsal and Syria’s Nahleh, with Hezbollah saying they believe the al-Qaeda forces were aiming for another attack on Arsal.
Arsal has been a common target for al-Qaeda and ISIS, and has forced Lebanon’s military to increase its presence in the area, trying to keep the border from falling into de facto Syrian rebel territory.
Nusra has been gaining territory in recent weeks, holding most of the Idlib Province and advancing against Syria’s Latakia coast. They have also pushed into the Qalamoun Mountains along the Lebanon border, suggesting they are a growing threat to Lebanese territory, and by extension Hezbollah.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- General: Pentagon to Soon Begin Drawdown of US Troops From Border - November 19th, 2018
- Trump, Pakistan PM Engage in War of Words on Twitter - November 19th, 2018
- Taliban: No Deadline for Ending Afghan War Reached in Meetings - November 19th, 2018
- Saudi FM Dismisses CIA Assessment of Khashoggi Killing - November 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Denies Killing Civilians in Eastern Syrian Airstrikes - November 19th, 2018