Deployed last week to the Yemeni coast on the pretext of the proximity of a convoy of Iranian cargo ships, whose destination was never known, the USS Theodore Roosevelt and a series of other US warships have begun to leave Yemeni waters, returning to their long-standing position parked off the Iranian coast.
The Pentagon insisted that during the deployment there was no communication with the Iranian cargo ships, and bragged that the Iranian convoy turned away from Yemen before the US warships did.
The move away suggests US ships won’t be engaged any further in the naval blockade of Yemen, though so far they were only confirmed to have carried out a single boarding, of a Panamanian cargo ship they falsely accused of having Iranian weapons on board.
The Iranian cargo convoy remains shrouded in mystery, however, as it never went to Yemen, and no one has ever publicly said where it was actually going. Though the US is trying to present the ships not going to Yemen as some sort of military achievement, it was never more than US conjecture that the ships were headed there anyhow.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018