The Obama Administration’s Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) against ISIS was already facing an uphill battle, after the White House bragged about deliberately vague wording in the resolution that would let them do virtually anything.
At this point, there’s not a single Democrat in the entire Senate pitching for the bill, and with a number of hawks in the Republican majority also annoyed that the AUMF isn’t explici5tly broader, it’s hard to see it passing.
Sen. Bob Corker (R – TN), the extremely hawkish head of the Foreign Relations Committee, is warning that if there isn’t some support from Democrats he might decide to scrap the committee vote outright, meaning the bill probably would never even make it to the floor.
In spite of still not having a war authorization, however, the Obama Administration continues to escalate the war against ISIS, and has treated the AUMF as an afterthought.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Sanctions on Iran Hitting Ordinary Iraqis Hard - August 14th, 2018
- Trump Wants Gaza Ceasefire With or Without PA Involvement - August 14th, 2018
- US 'Suspicious' of Russian Space Weapons - August 14th, 2018
- Afghans See Govt's Loss in Ghazni as Failure of Ghani Govt - August 14th, 2018
- Fighting Rages in Ghazni, Afghans Claim Most of City Recovered - August 14th, 2018