ISIS has released a pair of video messages today. The first showed a number of imprisoned Iraqi security forces, captured by ISIS during their offensive against the Nineveh Province.
That’s certainly true, but what happened next has yet to be confirmed. The second ISIS video message claimed the makeshift prison full of Iraqi troops was blown up, and everyone inside killed.
ISIS has made a big deal of mass executions of Iraqi troops that it has captured, and the claim no doubt aims to further lower the morale of the crumbling Iraqi military as it faces future offensives.
But is it true? That’s not clear. Details about what is going on inside ISIS territory are never easy to obtain, and while ISIS certainly has an interest in high-profile mass executions, there’s no way to confirm if this actually happened or not.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Captures 150 Afghan Soldiers Who Tried to Flee the Country - March 17th, 2019
- Saudi Crown Prince Launched Covert Campaign Against Dissent Before Khashoggi Murder - March 17th, 2019
- Pentagon Uses China to Justify Huge Budget Increase - March 17th, 2019
- South Korea May Hold Talks With North to Ease Tensions With US - March 17th, 2019
- UN Security Council Faults South Korea Over Unreported Oil Shipment to North Korea - March 17th, 2019