Comments by Iran’s Deputy Joint Chief of Staff Brig. Gen. Massoud Jazayeri suggest Iran is poised to dramatically escalate its involvement in the defense of the Iraqi government.
Brig. Gen. Jazayeri, a top Revolutionary Guard figure, says Iran’s response to ISIS will be “certain and serious,” and said his country is planning to copy the “winning strategy” used in the Syrian Civil War to Iraq.
Exactly what the “Syria strategy” entails was unclear, but Jazayeri talked of mobilizing masses of ethnic groups to the defense of the Iraqi state, saying the “popular defense” effort was already under way.
The big question then becomes how much of a “winning strategy” Syria has actually been, as while the area around Damascus is comparatively secure, the northern half and eastern half of the nation are pretty much entirely under rebel control, with ISIS carving out its new “Islamic State” as much out of Syria as Iraq.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- EU Digital Chief to Reject US Demand to Ban Huawei - March 25th, 2019
- Report: Saudi Airstrikes Kill at Least 50 Houthis in Yemen's Maarib Province - March 25th, 2019
- North Korea Believes Trump Was Open to Easing Sanctions at Hanoi Summit - March 25th, 2019
- North Korean Staff Returns to Liaison Office After Friday Withdrawal - March 25th, 2019
- US Envoy Says ISIS Fight in Syria Will Continue Even Without ISIS Holding Territory - March 25th, 2019