Questioned on growing media reports of Israel’s “unrivaled and unseemly” mass spying on the United States, the US State Department has conspicuously insisted they will neither confirm nor deny anything related to the story.
US officials were quoted in the Israeli press saying that the Obama Administration was deliberately avoiding making any comments because it doesn’t want to “make a habit” of responding to media reports of foreign spying.
Newsweek’s Jeff Stein broke the story earlier this month, leading to furious Israeli condemnations, along with blanket denials to doing any spying at all inside the United States.
Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz insisted that the story is a “malicious” effort to intentionally jeopardize US-Israel relations. He reiterated the denials of any truth to the story.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon to Withdraw Hundreds of Troops From Africa - November 15th, 2018
- Taliban Kill 65 in Attacks Across Afghanistan - November 15th, 2018
- US Announces Sanctions Supporting Saudi Narrative on Khashoggi - November 15th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Killed Over 100 Civilians in Eastern Syria This Week - November 15th, 2018
- Saudi-led Forces Halt Offensive Against Yemen's Port City of Hodeidah - November 15th, 2018