Taliban spokesmen confirmed an early morning attack on the grounds of the Afghan Presidential Palace in Kabul, saying the attack was directed primarily at a neighboring CIA base.
The attack showed a shocking ability of Taliban fighters to infiltrate the most secure areas of the nation, with two carloads of fighters using forged papers to bluff past multiple checkpoints before pounding the CIA office with a rocket launcher.
Overall casualties on the ground still aren’t clear, though the Afghan government maintains all eight attackers died in the incident, and at least three palace guards were confirmed killed in one of the simultaneous attacks meant at distracting forces from the primary target.
Amazingly, however, the initial reports are that no civilians were killed. This is particularly surprising since the palace got hit just ahead of a press conference, and a large number of press had gathered, and were forced to flee in a hail of gunfire.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills 30 Pro-Govt Fights Near Syrian City of Palmyra - May 22nd, 2018
- Scores Killed in Attacks Across Central Afghanistan - May 22nd, 2018
- Aide: US Contacting Members of Iraqi Cleric Sadr's Bloc - May 22nd, 2018
- US 'Plan B' With Iran Sets the Stage for War - May 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Military Says It Is First to Use F-35 in Combat - May 22nd, 2018