Iran simply can’t win as far as the Obama Administration is concerned. After years of railing at Iran for having a civilian uranium enrichment program, US officials are now saying Iran’s plan to build a nuclear reactor that uses unenriched uranium is “deeply troubling.”
The Arak Plant is aimed at eventually replacing the US-built Tehran Research Reactor (TRR). The TRR is an aging plant that runs on 20 percent enriched uranium fuel rods, and provides medical isotopes for the entire nation.
Arak would replace that and solve Iran’s difficulties with acquiring fuel rods by allowing the plant to run off of unenriched uranium, provided at domestic uranium mines.
The US says this is unacceptable as well because the by-products of the reactor, if put through a whole additional set of extra reprocessing that Iran isn’t even attempting, could conceivably produce small amounts of plutonium. The entire argument is so disingenuous, however, that it lends credence to Iranian claims that the US is never going to be happy no matter what they do.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 40, Mostly Civilians, in Eastern Syria - November 18th, 2018
- Clashes Between Pro-Turkish Rebel Factions Kill 25 in Syria's Afrin - November 18th, 2018
- Top White House Advocate of Severe Sanctions Against Saudis Resigns - November 18th, 2018
- Trump Says CIA Assessment of Khashoggi Murder 'Premature' - November 18th, 2018
- Pro-Saudi Forces Launch New Offensive Against Houthis in NW Yemen - November 18th, 2018