A new Reuters poll has found an overwhelming number of Americans opposed to attacking Syria, with only 10 percent in favor and 61 percent firmly averse to the idea.
Even if the Syrian government began using chemical weapons, posed as a separate question in the poll, the number in support is only 27 percent, well below the 44 percent that remain opposed.
This is the second poll in as many days reflecting an opposition to starting a new war in Syria, with a NY Times/CBS poll yesterday showing a 24-63 percent opposition in a differently worded question about “responsibility” to attack Syria on behalf of the rebels. That poll also showed opposition to attacking North Korea, something not mentioned in today’s.
The Obama Administration has yet to comment on the popular opposition, but reports suggest that they are moving toward arming the rebels, perhaps seeing his as a more politically palatable alternative to a direct invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Announces Plans for Massive Military Spending Hikes - August 16th, 2018
- Iraq Carries Out Airstrike Against ISIS 'Operations Room' in Syria - August 16th, 2018
- Senators to Resist Trump Plans to Cut Foreign Aid - August 16th, 2018
- As Costs Rise, Pentagon Announces Military Parade Postponed - August 16th, 2018
- US Threatens Further Turkey Sanctions if Pastor Not Freed Soon - August 16th, 2018