Last weekend’s attempts to open the Pakistan-Afghanistan border failed, and US-Pakistan relations are taking another turn for the worse as the US has launched a flurry of new drone strikes against the North Waziristan tribal area.
Fresh off of yesterday’s strike near Miramshah, which reportedly killed as many as 10 people, a new strike has pounded a village just outside of Mir Ali, killing 10 more “suspects.” Today’s strike also damaged a local mosque.
Pakistani Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Ali Khan slammed the strikes, saying that they are a violation of Pakistan’s “territorial integrity” and “in contravention of international law. They are illegal, counter productive and totally unacceptable.”
The US has shrugged off repeated complaints about the drone strikes, but is issuing its own condemnations centering around Pakistan’s conviction of a doctor for treason, related to his role in a CIA operation that pretended to immunize Pakistani children but instead collected their DNA to screen for possible terrorist relatives. US officials argue that since the plan ended with the death of Osama bin Laden, the sentence is unfair.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018