With a moderate Islamist party taking power in Tunisia, and another winning a considerable percentage of the seats in Egypt’s lower parliament, Islamist factions seem to be the biggest winners so far in the Arab Spring.
This is perhaps unsurprising, as traditionally when military dictatorships have banned opposition parties it has benefited religious factions which can operate under the auspices of the church (or in this case mosque).
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House: Israeli TV Report on Peace Plan Not Accurate - January 18th, 2019
- Second Trump-Kim Summit Will Be Held in Late February - January 18th, 2019
- US Bombs, Destroys a Mosque in Syria's Safafiyah - January 18th, 2019
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Shells ISIS Forces in Eastern Syria - January 18th, 2019
- US Airstrike Kills 23 in Eastern Syria, Mostly Fleeing Civilians - January 18th, 2019