Ten people were reported slain today after three attackers entered the Directorate of Communications in the Afghan city of Sharana, capital of the Paktika Province.
The attackers were carrying rifles and wearing suicide vests, and the attack sparked a six hour gunbattle with police. Three police were killed, as were the attackers and four civilians.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack, and government officials are speculating that the actual target may have been the neighboring intelligence office. They declined to provide any details on how the civilians were slain.
Paktika has been the site of major gunbattles recently, with speculation that one of the Taliban factions, possibly the Haqqanis have tried to enhance their presence in the strategically key province.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kill Over 100 Afghan Police in Attack Near Kabul - January 21st, 2019
- Taliban Rejects Call to Meet US Negotiator in Islamabad - January 20th, 2019
- Trump Says 'A Lot of Progress' Made With North Korea - January 20th, 2019
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 52 in Southern Somalia - January 20th, 2019
- Saudi Warplanes Pound Yemeni Capital - January 20th, 2019