Ten people were reported slain today after three attackers entered the Directorate of Communications in the Afghan city of Sharana, capital of the Paktika Province.
The attackers were carrying rifles and wearing suicide vests, and the attack sparked a six hour gunbattle with police. Three police were killed, as were the attackers and four civilians.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack, and government officials are speculating that the actual target may have been the neighboring intelligence office. They declined to provide any details on how the civilians were slain.
Paktika has been the site of major gunbattles recently, with speculation that one of the Taliban factions, possibly the Haqqanis have tried to enhance their presence in the strategically key province.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019