Having already lost two distinct spy rings earlier this week in the Pizza Hut fiasco in Beirut, Lebanon, an Iranian MP reports that a third CIA spy ring has been broken inside Iran, with at least 12 arrested.
Reports say that the new spy ring was linked to Iran’s deployment of missiles around the country to prepare for a reaction to an oft-threatened Israeli attack. The spies had been tracking where the missiles were and what defenses they had against attack.
MP Parviz Sorouri, a member of the National Security Committee, said that they were “trying to use regional intelligence services, both inside and outside Iran, in order to deal a strong blow to our country.” The nationality of those arrested has not been made public.
In addition to being the third spy ring lost this week, it is also the second time this year Iran has uncovered a CIA spy network, after arrests in May. With the CIA putting more and more focus on its assassination program, it raises further questions about its ability to effectively operate intelligence gathering services.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian President's Account Blocked on Instagram - April 23rd, 2019
- Libyan Forces Push Hafter's Troops Out of Tripoli - April 23rd, 2019
- UN Report: War Has Set Back Yemen More Than 20 Years - April 23rd, 2019
- Navy SEALs were warned by commanders not to report Iraq war crimes - April 23rd, 2019
- Iran's Parliament Labels Entire US Military as Terrorists - April 23rd, 2019