In a move which intelligence officials attributed to “lazy” security and several ignored warnings, two different CIA spying rings have been uncovered in Beirut, Lebanon, with the Hezbollah faction taken credit for noticing them.
Hezbollah noticed that a series of prepaid cellphones used by the informants were only used rarely and only in very specific locations. They used this, along with the fact that the CIA always used the same codeword, PIZZA, to uncover and arrest the informants.
Underscoring just how bad an idea using the term “PIZZA” was, the informants were said to have always met at the same pizzeria. Reportedly it was a Pizza Hut in Beirut. The CIA has denied that it was actually a Pizza Hut, but declined to provide an alternative location.
One of the rings was reportedly specifically in Beirut to spy on Hezbollah and the other members of the Lebanese ruling coalition. The other ring was said to somehow target Iran’s nuclear program.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019