11 people, including two members of the Pakistani Army and a member of the air force, were killed today and 14 others were wounded when a remote-controlled bicycle bomb was detonated against a hotel in Nowshera, destroying it.
The bicycle was parked in the courtyard of the hotel and was detonated when people were congregating in the area to break the Ramadan fast at sunset. Though security forces seem to have been the target, a woman and a child were among the slain.
The hotel was also in a market district, filled with shoppers buying food in preparation of the end of Ramadan Eid al-Fitr feasts. The blast was said to have damaged a number of shops in the area, but it seems the casualties were largely in the immediate area around the hotel and courtyard.
So far no group has claimed credit for the attack, but Nowshera is a common site for attacks by assorted Taliban factions operating in the nearby Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Khashoggi's Remains Disposed of in Saudi Consul General's Garden - October 23rd, 2018
- Two Koreas, UN Command Agree to Withdraw All Arms From Truce Village - October 22nd, 2018
- NATO Sends 50,000 Troops to Largest Exercise Since Cold War - October 22nd, 2018
- Bolton Visits Moscow, Denies Plans to Blackmail Russia Over Nuclear Treaty - October 22nd, 2018
- CIA Has Heard Audio Recording of Khashoggi's Death - October 22nd, 2018