11 people, including two members of the Pakistani Army and a member of the air force, were killed today and 14 others were wounded when a remote-controlled bicycle bomb was detonated against a hotel in Nowshera, destroying it.
The bicycle was parked in the courtyard of the hotel and was detonated when people were congregating in the area to break the Ramadan fast at sunset. Though security forces seem to have been the target, a woman and a child were among the slain.
The hotel was also in a market district, filled with shoppers buying food in preparation of the end of Ramadan Eid al-Fitr feasts. The blast was said to have damaged a number of shops in the area, but it seems the casualties were largely in the immediate area around the hotel and courtyard.
So far no group has claimed credit for the attack, but Nowshera is a common site for attacks by assorted Taliban factions operating in the nearby Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills 14 in Suicide Bombings in South Yemen Port of Aden - February 25th, 2018
- Syrian Kurd Leader Arrested in Prague at Behest of Turkey - February 25th, 2018
- UN Unanimously Backs Ceasefire in Syria - February 25th, 2018
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018