11 people, including two members of the Pakistani Army and a member of the air force, were killed today and 14 others were wounded when a remote-controlled bicycle bomb was detonated against a hotel in Nowshera, destroying it.
The bicycle was parked in the courtyard of the hotel and was detonated when people were congregating in the area to break the Ramadan fast at sunset. Though security forces seem to have been the target, a woman and a child were among the slain.
The hotel was also in a market district, filled with shoppers buying food in preparation of the end of Ramadan Eid al-Fitr feasts. The blast was said to have damaged a number of shops in the area, but it seems the casualties were largely in the immediate area around the hotel and courtyard.
So far no group has claimed credit for the attack, but Nowshera is a common site for attacks by assorted Taliban factions operating in the nearby Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- After CNN Report, Facebook Censors Pages With Claimed Links to Russia - February 18th, 2019
- US, EU, and Kurds at Odds Over ISIS Prisoners in Syria - February 18th, 2019
- Syrian Kurdish Commander Wants US to Halt Pullout, Keep 1,500 Troops in Syria - February 18th, 2019
- Venezuela, Richard Branson Plan Dueling Concerts Along Colombian Border - February 18th, 2019
- Trump: Venezuelan Military Members Must Abandon Maduro or 'Lose Everything' - February 18th, 2019