Even its address is classified, but officials say a new US military command center has been created. Operating under JSOC, the center (said to be just a short drive from the Pentagon) will function as a base of operations for the “secret war.”
As with similar centers for the Iraq and Afghan Wars, the new center will be designed to allow officials to streamline the US special forces attacks across the globe, from Pakistan to Somalia and Yemen, and heaven only knows where else.
Of course the fact that the Obama Administration has been dramatically increasing the use of such special forces attacks is hardly a secret, even if it hasn’t been widely publicized, so it may be something of an overstatement to call this war a secret. Still, the fact that the administration is so keen on the program as to open a full on center to “streamline” the global attacks suggests the strategy is going to grow even further in years to come.
According to NATO, the number of “special operations” strikes in Afghanistan alone has grown from 30-35 a month in mid-2009 to around 1,000 a month now. The number of raids elsewhere across the world remains, as ever, a secret.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018
- Pompeo: US Preparing a 'Series of Actions' Against Venezuela - September 21st, 2018