US drone strikes launched a pair of drone strikes against North Waziristan Agency today, killing at least eight people and wounding another 12. The strikes destroyed a car in the village of Datta Khel, then destroyed a home in Mir Ali.
Pakistani sources termed all eight of the slain people “suspects,” but the 12 wounded people were transported to local hospitals and none of them appear to have been arrested or charged with anything as the result of the US attack.
The Obama Administration has dramatically increased the number of drone strikes against North Waziristan over the past few months, with officials terming almost everyone killed a suspect, though few have actually been named.
But even the named victims of the strikes don’t always pan out. A claim of the death of Qari Hussain Mehsud earlier this month, the fourth such death for the top TTP official, turned out to be untrue.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Plans to 'Counter' Russia and China in Africa - December 13th, 2018
- Bolton: Trump Won't Meet Putin While Russia Holds Ukrainian Ships - December 13th, 2018
- Turkey Builds Up Military at Syria Border for Planned Offensive - December 13th, 2018
- Israel to Approve Thousands of Unauthorized West Bank Settler Homes - December 13th, 2018
- Yemen Talks End With Ceasefire Agreed for Hodeidah - December 13th, 2018