Following weeks of intense debate in Iran’s government, Foreign Minister Manochehr Mottaki says that the nation will not be accepting the draft third party enrichment deal as presently constituted.
“We will definitely not send our 3.5-percent enriched uranium out of the country,” Mottaki insisted, though he said the nation would still consider a simultaneous fuel swap, something Western officials have previously rejected.
The existing deal was hugely controversial inside Iran, some officials were in favor of it, including the Army Chief of Staff, but it seems that skepticism and international pressure to answer quickly finally won out.
Iran has been enriching uranium to 3.5 percent, for use in the Bushehr nuclear power plant, but had sought more highly enriched uranium for use in its Tehran medical reactor. Several officials had expressed concerns, however, that France was involved in the third party enrichment scheme. France had previously reneged on a nuclear deal with Iran and there was concern that Iran could lose 70 percent of its enriched uranium if France decided to just keep it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- EU Digital Chief to Reject US Demand to Ban Huawei - March 25th, 2019
- Report: Saudi Airstrikes Kill at Least 50 Houthis in Yemen's Maarib Province - March 25th, 2019
- North Korea Believes Trump Was Open to Easing Sanctions at Hanoi Summit - March 25th, 2019
- North Korean Staff Returns to Liaison Office After Friday Withdrawal - March 25th, 2019
- US Envoy Says ISIS Fight in Syria Will Continue Even Without ISIS Holding Territory - March 25th, 2019