Battles between the Saudi government and Yemeni rebels continued along the border again today, with locals reporting that the air strikes the Saudi Air Force launched yesterday were continuing through the day.
Yemen’s Shi’ite rebel group says that they have captured several members of the Saudi military in the continuing clashes, but promsied that the captives would be “treated with respect.”
The Saudi government did not comment on the reported loss of soldiers, but claimed that they had captured at least 50 Yemeni Shi’ites. Both sides continue to insist the other side crossed the border first, but fighting appears to be taking place on both sides at this point.
Yemen’s government, a close ally of Saudi Arabia, insisted yesterday that the clashes were a myth concocted by the rebels, and hasn’t commented again since then. Saudi Arabia’s government insists that it will continue the offensive against the Shi’ites.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ceasefire Announced for Part of Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Will Expel All Kurds From Border Unless Deal Reached With US - March 22nd, 2018
- Pentagon: Nukes Will Be Useless Without New Plutonium Cores - March 22nd, 2018
- State Dept. Announces $1 Billion in New Arms Sales to Saudis - March 22nd, 2018
- Mattis Says Saudis 'Part of the Solution' in Yemen - March 22nd, 2018